Storm's Death Toll Rises to 23 in North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Family members and officials say at least 23 people were killed in North Carolina by the violent storms that devastated parts of the state.
Police said Tuesday an infant in Raleigh died from storm-related injuries. Elsewhere, the family of a man in Lee County man said he died over the weekend.
Authorities had previously identified only one person killed there.
A confirmed tally had been difficult to reach because of the far-flung destruction and multiple government agencies involved. The Associated Press confirmed the identities of each of the 23 who died with relatives, local officials or state troopers.
Bertie County was the hardest hit with 11 people killed.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)