Created: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 04:30:00 EST
Updated: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:44:41 EST
An 80-year-old woman is dead after a fire destroyed her 100-year-old house in Gray.
Jones County Fire Chief Don Graham told WGXA, the fire began just before 9:30 a.m. in the home at 140 E. Clinton St.
The state fire marshal's office later indicated the fire started from food left on the stove in the residence.
When emergency crews arrived at the East Clinton Street home, they were told someone was trapped inside the blaze.
"Our units at arrival went into a rescue operations. We found a patient victim in the back bedroom. We exited with the subject from there the Medical Center Paramedics took over then," Graham said.
But it was too late. Graham says the victim was already in cardiac arrest as the firefighters took her out of the house.
Once the house was clear, firefighters turned their attention to the blaze, but the age of the home made the fire difficult to fight.
"This is a over 100-year-old dwelling here so it's probably 90 percent fat-lighter. We had five engine companies probably 25 to 30 personnel on the scene and it took us about an hour to supress the fire," Graham said.
A firefighter and one other person suffered injuries and were taken to the Medical Center.