Fire Chief and Commissioner give safety tips
State and local safety leaders want people in Central Georgia to be cautious as they heat their homes this winter.
Macon-Bibb Fire Chief Marvin Riggins, and the State's Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens teamed up to give people heating safety tips Thursday.
Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of house fires and they want to make sure people keep portable heaters away from curtains and other flammable material. It's also important to have your home heating unit checked annually, and make sure all fuel burning appliances are properly ventilated.
"There are kerosene heaters or electric heaters and they get them too close a flammable substance that starts fire and we end up having death," Hudgens said.
The Insurance and Safety Fire Commission also donated 48 9 - volt batteries to the fire department to be used in fire alarms around the county.